On Thu, 25 Dec 2014, Mike Miller wrote:

I was going to ask a question about it how to test that an object is a vector, but then I found this:

"is.vector() does not test if an object is a vector. Instead it returns TRUE only if the object is a vector with no attributes apart from names. Use is.atomic(x) || is.list(x) to test if an object is actually a vector."

From here:

http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Data-structures.html#vectors

But here...

https://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/library/base/html/vector.html

...I read, "Note that factors are *not* vectors" (emphasis theirs), yet...

d <- gl(2,2)

is.factor(d)
[1] TRUE

is.atomic(d) || is.list(d)
[1] TRUE

is.list(d)
[1] FALSE

is.atomic(d)
[1] TRUE

is.vector(d)
[1] FALSE

So the factor is not a vector according to R documentation, but it is a vector according to the Wickham test, and it is not a vector according to is.vector(). Admittedly, the latter seems not to mean much to the R experts. Maybe a factor is just a vector with additional attributes.

Mike