Hi Rich,
I think this is more a technical question for the subject matter experts than
for R-help if I am understanding the question correctly.

That said, there seems to be an R package called compositional and a
corresponding book http://www.springer.com/us/book/9783642368080 that may help.
 If nothing else the names of the author(s) of the package or book  or the
references may give you some leads on some decent papers.

It, probably, would help anyone with some expertise in the area to be able to
look at some of your data.  Have a look at ?dput and perhaps a glance at
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5963269/how-to-make-a-great-r-reproducible-example
 and http://adv-r.had.co.nz/Reproducibility.html for some suggestions on how to
do this.

John Kane