On Fri, 17 Jul 2015, Bert Gunter wrote:

I believe John Aitchison's book and papers are the authoritative basic
resources. Have you read them?

Bert,

  Yes, I have.

The problem is that the support of the distributions are (hyper)simplexes,
not Euclidean space, due to the requirement that the proportions must sum
to 1. This means that complicated animals like Dirichelet distributions
must be used to model populations, and the sampling theory is therefore
specialized. It's difficult for most folks to get their heads around this.

  That's true, When I read the math I move my lips and follow along with a
finger. :-)

  My question is focused on presentation of graphic presentation of the
data, such as a matrix of ternary diagrams that show the distribution of the
response variables to the explanatory variables. The analysis of benthic
macroinvertebrate functional feeding groups has 5 response variables which
resulted in a 5-by-5 ternary diagram matrix. Anything larger than that would
require the eyesight of a teenager to see any details.

  I'll keep searching the literature for a suitable example. Perhaps a CoDA
SIG will develop on within the R mail list ecosystem in the not-too-distant
future.

Thanks,

Rich