Tom Backer Johnsen wrote:
Thomas Mang wrote:
Hi,

Please apologize if my questions sounds somewhat 'stupid' to the trained and experienced statisticians of you. Also I am not sure if I used all terms correctly, if not then corrections are welcome.

I have asked myself the following question regarding bootstrapping in regression: Say for whatever reason one does not want to take the p-values for regression coefficients from the established test statistics distributions (t-distr for individual coefficients, F-values for whole-model-comparisons), but instead apply a more robust approach by bootstrapping.

In the simple linear regression case, one possibility is to randomly rearrange the X/Y data pairs, estimate the model and take the beta1-coefficient. Do this many many times, and so derive the null distribution for beta1. Finally compare beta1 for the observed data against this null-distribution.

There is a very basic difference between bootstrapping and random permutations. What you are suggesting is to shuffle values between cases or rows in the frame. That amounts to a variant of a permutation test, not a bootstrap.

What you do in a bootstrap test is different, you regard your sample as a population and then sample from that population (with replacement), normally by extracting a large number of random samples of the same size as the original sample and do the computations for whatever you are interested in for each sample.

In other words, with bootstrapping, the pattern of values within each case or row is unchanged, and you sample complete cases or rows. With a permutation test you keep the original sample of cases or rows, but shuffle the observations on the same variable between cases or rows.

Have a look at the 'boot' package.

Tom

What I now wonder is how the situation looks like in the multiple regression case. Assume there are two predictors, X1 and X2. Is it then possible to do the same, but just only rearranging the values of one predictor (the one of interest) at a time? Say I want again to test beta1. Is it then valid to many times randomly rearrange the X1 data (and keeping Y and X2 as observed), fit the model, take the beta1 coefficient, and finally compare the beta1 of the observed data against the distributions of these beta1s ? For X2, do the same, randomly rearrange X2 all the time while keeping Y and X1 as observed etc.
Is this valid ?

Second, if this is valid for the 'normal', fixed-effects only regression, is it also valid to derive null distributions for the regression coefficients of the fixed effects in a mixed model this way? Or does the quite different parameters estimation calculation forbid this approach (Forbid in the sense of bogus outcome) ?

Thanks, Thomas