Hi Thomas,

Thomas Mang schrieb:

I have a question here: I am not sure if I understand your 'fit the full model ... to the permuted data set'. Am I correct to suppose that once the residuals of the reduced-model fit have been permuted and added back to the fitted values, the values obtained this way (fitted + permuted residuals) now constitute the new y-values to which the full model is fitted? Is that correct ?

It is. Look at section 2.2, "Permutation of Residuals under the Reduced Model" here:

Anderson, M. J. & Legendre, P. An empirical comparison of permutation methods for tests of partial regression coefficients in a linear model. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 1999, 62, 271-303

Do you know if this procedure is also valid for a mixed-effects model ?

That's a good question... if you find out anything about this, please let me know.

HTH,
Stephan