On Jan 31, 2009, at 1:27 PM, Charles C. Berry wrote:

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Stephan Kolassa wrote:

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Mang schrieb:

I have a question here: I am not sure if I understand your 'fit the full model ... to the permuted data set'. Am I correct to suppose that once the residuals of the reduced-model fit have been permuted and added back to
the fitted values, the values obtained this way (fitted + permuted
residuals) now constitute the new y-values to which the full model is
fitted? Is that correct ?

It is. Look at section 2.2, "Permutation of Residuals under the Reduced Model" here:

Anderson, M. J. & Legendre, P. An empirical comparison of permutation methods for tests of partial regression coefficients in a linear model. Journal of Statistical Computation and Simulation, 1999, 62, 271-303

Do you know if this procedure is also valid for a mixed-effects model ?

That's a good question... if you find out anything about this, please let me know.

There are various kinds of residuals in mixed effects models. But mostly they are not what you want.

What you need are the type of residuals used in the section on significance tests in Beran and Srivastava:

@article{beran1985bta,
title={{BOOTSTRAP TESTS AND CONFIDENCE REGIONS FOR FUNCTIONS OF A COVARIANCE MATRIX1}},
 author={Beran, R. and Srivastava, M.S.},
 journal={The Annals of Statistics},
 volume={13},
 number={1},
 pages={95--115},
 year={1985}
}

Thank you, Chuck. A search brings up a link to an open access version through Project Euclid:

<http://projecteuclid.org/DPubS/Repository/1.0/Disseminate?view=body&id=pdf_1&handle=euclid.aos/1176346579 >

--
David Winsemius

HTH,