Hi Bernhard,
I'm wondering what you will expect to get in "dividing" two proportional survival curves from a fitted cox model. Anyway, you can provide a newdata object to the survfit function containing any combination of cofactors you are interested in and then use summary, eg:

fit <- coxph( Surv(futime,fustat)~resid.ds+rx+ecog.ps,data=ovarian)
summary(survfit( fit,newdata=data.frame(rx=1, ecog.ps=2, resid.ds=0)))

hth.

Bernhard Reinhardt schrieb:
Hi!

I came across R just a few days ago since I was looking for a toolbox for cox-regression.

I´ve read
"Cox Proportional-Hazards Regression for Survival Data
Appendix to An R and S-PLUS Companion to Applied Regression" from John Fox.

As described therein plotting survival-functions works well (plot(survfit(model))). But I´d like to do some manipulation with the survival-functions before plotting them e.g. dividing one survival-function by another.

survfit() only returns an object of the following structure

     n events median 0.9LCL 0.9UCL
55.000 55.000  1.033  0.696  1.637

Can you tell me how I can calculate a survival- or baseline-function out of these values and how I extract the values from the object? I´m sure the calculation is done by the corresponding plot-routine, but I couldn´t find that one either.

Regards

Bernhard

Eik Vettorazzi
Institut für Medizinische Biometrie und Epidemiologie
Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf

Martinistr. 52
20246 Hamburg

T ++49/40/42803-8243