On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:45 PM, cheba meier <cheba.me...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
>
> if done properly! What does this mean? The R-code I have is using the
> R-function sample without replacement. Am I doing this properly?
>
> median of the differences is zero!

This is only valid if the experiment consists of paired data.

> Does this mean if I run 1000 permutation and for each permutation I compute
> the median difference and as a result I have 1000 differences. Is the the
> H0: median(1000 differences) =0? If yes, which conclusion one would have
> from this H0?

Nope. the H0 is : median difference = 0
permutation tests run with replacement=F, bootstrapping (which is arguably
the better choice if you can't calculate all permutations)  is done with
replacement = T
# make some data
a <- 1:10
b <- 3:12
x <- c(a,b)
y <- rep(c("a","b"),each=10)

# define function difference of the medians. This can be any function, this
is just for demonstration purposes
med.diff <-function(x,y){
     tmp <- by(x,y,median)
     return(diff(tmp))
}
# bootstrap
med.diff.observed <- med.diff(x,y)  # observed test statistic

n <- 100 # number of bootstraps

boot.samples <- replicate(n,sample(x,replace=T)) # bootstrap samples
med.diff.boot <- apply(boot.samples,2,med.diff,y) # test statistic for
bootstrap samples
med.diff.boot <- scale(med.diff.boot) # centralization for 2-sided testing
pvalue <- mean(abs(med.diff.boot)>=abs(med.diff.observed)) # calculate
proportion of test statistic that is more extreme than the observed
pvalue

I use the central limit theorem in a way, assuming the distribution of the
statistic for the bootstrap sample is symmetric.