LIst:

The other day I ask for some advice and I got some very helpful comments
from Michael Lawrence (thanks), and off-list from John Verzani. Thanks to
both.

It looks like I will be able to build my application using tcktl, with 95 %
of the code in gWidgets. I will have to use some tool-kit level code for
some special purposes, at least for now. For the record, here is a trick
that helped me see how gWidgets was interacting with tcltk: I added "trace
(tcl)" and "trace (tkconfigure)" in my test scripts. I also looked at the
sources for gWidgets. Both helped a lot.

Here is another question for the list:

I want to set up my "system" so that it starts from a desktop icon and
closes when the user hits the "close" button on a window. That means that R
would be started from the icon and the script that is my application runs
from there. What I need is an R command that tells R to wait until the
gWidgets "window" closes and then it can exit (actually, I'd set it up so
that "q()" is run from a call back function). If I run R --no-save (or
--save) < myScript.R, R exits as soon as EOF is reached on the script file.

I've seen questions like this on the web but it seems like this should be
easier than suggested in the replies to those questions (and some of the
suggestions did not work). Am I missing a trick or do I need to get very
tricky?

BTW: As an experiment I tried the following: I made a new .Rprofile file
that contains one command: source ("myGUI.R")   ... and this approach gets
me what I want: the gui starts, the event loop works fine (this on Windows,
starting from a cmd.exe window using R.exe  (not Rgui.exe).  So, what I'm
after is something along the lines of running a script (like .Rprofile),
but not ending when EOF is hit. This was an experiment, I do not intend to
"field" the idea of hijacking the .Rprofile. Howerver the test shows more
or less what I need.

Comments?

Cheers, Nick.

PS: (I see I need to catch up my Windows box!)
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.15.1 (2012-06-22)
Platform: x86_64-pc-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C

[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] tcltk     stats     graphics  grDevices utils     datasets  methods
base

other attached packages:
[1] gWidgetstcltk_0.0-54 digest_0.5.2         gWidgets_0.0-52

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]