Dear all,

I'm currently describing phenotypic divergence patterns of several traits
within a radiated genus (5 species). Several comparative studies suggest to
take into account the phylogenetic relationships among the species by means of
PIC or PLGS etc. for which I agree
But before applying these methods I guess I should first detect whether there
is Phylogenetic signal (PS)in the data and if not then I suppose I can use
classic statistical methods
(correct me if my reasoning is wrong)

Hence I calculated Blombergs K statistics with Picante and almost all traits
have K values<1 i.e. no PS (but no p values < 0.05)
hence my question concerns about the accuracy of this statistic in a small
data set (N=5)

Blomberg et. al. 2003 (Evolution) mentioned that it is practically impossible
to get a statistical significant result if N<7

Hence, can I put confidence in this statistic?

Sincerely greetings,

Charlotte

Drs. Charlotte De Busschere
Ghent University