Dear Charlotte,

No, you do not want to do this.
As shown in Blomberg et al. (2003), the tests for statistical significance do
not work well when you have fewer than about 20 species.
The estimate of the K statistic (indicating the amoung of phylogentic signal)
is fine for small sample sizes, but the test of its statistical significance is
not.  You can compare your value of K against the many other values reported in
our paper to see if it is "typical" for that type of trait.

Note that K can range from close to zero to somewhat grater than one for real
data.  See the values in Blomberg et al. (2003).  Typical values are in the
range of about 0.4 to 0.8, and those values are tyupically significantly
greater than zero when you have decent sample size (greater than 20 or so).  A
value a bit below one does NOT mean no phylogenetic signal.

In general, it is better to use statistical models that simultaneously
estiumate the strength of phylogenetic signal and the other parameters (e.g.,
partial regression slopes).  However, unfortunately, this also does not work
well with small samples sizes.

So, I suggest you do both conventional statistical analyses and
phylogenetically independent contrasts (which is equivalent to PGLS models
without any sort of branch length transform).  Hopefully, results will be
similar.  If not, then you probably cannot conclude much from your data.

Sincerely,
Ted

Theodore Garland, Jr.
Professor
Department of Biology
University of California, Riverside
Riverside, CA 92521
Office Phone:  (951) 827-3524
Wet Lab Phone:  (951) 827-5724
Dry Lab Phone:  (951) 827-4026
Home Phone:  (951) 328-0820
Facsimile:  (951) 827-4286 = Dept. office (not confidential)
Email:  tgarl...@ucr.edu
http://www.biology.ucr.edu/people/faculty/Garland.html

Experimental Evolution: Concepts, Methods, and Applications of Selection
Experiments
Edited by Theodore Garland, Jr. and Michael R. Rose
http://www.ucpress.edu/book.php?isbn=9780520261808
(PDFs of chapters are available from me or from the individual authors)