Hi Nina and everyone,

One thing to consider is that not all zero data are the same. Zeros under a
model of continuous trait evolution with a gaussian process as assumed under
Brownian motion and OU processes would occasionally cross zero, maybe go
negative, etc. For example if you were modeling something like the deviation
from average height. You may have a lot of individuals that are at zero because
they are all average, but their offspring will quickly move off zero as some
will be taller, some shorter than average.

On the other hand, many of us measure traits which disappear, for example scale
counts on fish. Numbers of scale rows vary while there are scales, but once
they disappear, those lineages will be at zero, perhaps for a very long time.
In this case it is no longer behaving as a gaussian process with small changes
expected every time period. We usually think of these more as a "threshold
trait". Maybe there is some hormone or something else (a hidden variable)
underlying the determination of scales or no scales, and once it goes below
threshhold the scales disappear. The hidden variable may fit model assumptions,
but not the scale counts (what we can see and measure).  For example, the scale
counts can never go negative. With a value like height, it also never goes
negative, but usually we are far away from that zero boundary so we can
casually ignore that problem:). Or we can do a log-transform, or something else
that transforms the data onto a different scale.   Anyway, the a!
 bsorbing boundary zeros are, I think, an example of what Ted is talking about.

So it depends on the nature of your data. On the other hand, for the other
variable, if there is just not much variation, but it's not stuck on any
particular value (doesn't appear to have any absorbing boundary), I think
that's less of a problem.

HTH,
Marguerite

Marguerite A. Butler