Jarrod and Dan,

While I see what Dan is saying and I agree that evaluating this with
non-phylogenetic data is not entirely useful, I think you have stumbled
upon a known issue but one that is not widely appreciated.

While the MK model is a useful model for discrete characters in many ways,
it may be inappropriate for such a test. If you assume that the root is
equally likely to be in either state with a lot of tips (i.e. approaching
the limit), the ML estimate for the ratio of q01 (transition rate from 0 to
1) to q10 will converge on the ratio between number of tips in state 1 to
number of tips in state 0. So if you have a tree where most of the tips are
in state 1 then you will get support for the asymmetric change model as
this best explains the data. It is a very weird problem and perhaps I am
incorrect in this.

Regardless, this result does not hold if the discrete character is modeled
simulataneously with the branching process of the phylogeny (i.e. BiSSE;
Maddison et al. 2007).

So, in summation, I mostly agree with you. But this is not shocking
behavior of the model. If you are interested, a Bayesian implementation of
the Mk model can be found in the package diversitree in the function make.mk
.

again, i could be off base here. curious to see what others think?

matt