Mark Holder wrote:

With respect to Jarrod's simulations, I have a few thoughts:
1. I don't understand the claim (in the original email) that "its fairly straightforward to prove that asymmetric transition rates cannot be identified using data collected on the tips of a phylogeny" It seems like this is something that is routinely done in phylogenetics, and proofs of identifiability of GTR exist (demonstrating that this indeed feasible and not some computational artifact).

I agree. This whole discussion may have started from a "fact" that is *not* "fairly straightforward to prove". In which case it is not necessary to bring speciation rates or priors into it.

A reversible two-state model should be able to have its parameters estimated on a given tree, clocklike or not.

Joe
----
Joe Felsenstein, j...@gs.washington.edu
 Dept. of Genome Sciences, Univ. of Washington
 Box 355065, Seattle, WA 98195-5065 USA