Hi Jordan.

One option is to use the threshold model from quantitative genetics and estimate the evolutionary correlation/covariance between the binary trait and the continuous characters. This approach is described in Felsenstein (2012; Am. Nat.) and implemented in the stand-alone C program, threshml (http://evolution.gs.washington.edu/phylip/download/threshml/). I also recently added a two character version (threshml can analyze an arbitrary number of binary & continuous traits) of this to phytools, described on my blog (http://phytools.blogspot.com/2012/08/bayesian-mcmc-for-threshold-model.html). If you decide to use phytools, you will have to download the latest version (http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/phytools/nonstatic/phytools_0.1-91.tar.gz) and install from source as this in not in the current CRAN version.

If you look at the blog post linked above you will also see that there was considerable discussion about whether it was possible to fit the same model using MCMCglmm.

All the best, Liam

Liam J. Revell, Assistant Professor of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
web: http://faculty.umb.edu/liam.revell/
email: liam.rev...@umb.edu
blog: http://phytools.blogspot.com