Emmanuel Paradis wrote:

> If you are Bayesian, the trees sampled from an MCMC are here for estimation
> including of the branch lengths, so you use them to compute some sort of
> consensus topology as well as its branch lengths. So it makes sense that
> MrBayes can do a consensus tree with branch lengths.

I endorse the rest of Emmanuel's advice but let me quibble with this one.  The
posterior on trees may not consist mostly of trees varying around a single
consensus.  If the posterior had, for example, two modes, each centered around
a different tree, a single consensus tree might not be appropriate, and branch
lengths computed by averaging lengths over the two modes might not be a good
guide to what the trees in the posterior looked like.  I don't know enough
about MrBayes features to know whether they have some way around this.

There is a similar issue with parsimony methods -- the set of most parsimonious
trees may have a consensus, which may well not be a most parsimonious tree.
People who see the consensus of most parsimonious trees may not realize that
the particular tree they are looking at is not most parsimonious.

J.F.
----
Joe Felsenstein         j...@gs.washington.edu

(from 1 October 2012 to 10 December 2012 on sabbatical  leave at)
Department of Statistics, University of California, Berkeley, 367 Evans Hall,
Berkeley, CA  94710