Rob Lanfear wrote:

> In particular, Liam's using squared contrasts in y, so that's
> asking whether the absolute size of changes in y depends on
> x at the ancestral node. I might have missed something here,
> but that sounds very similar in principle to Freckleton's
> test of whether the variance of trait differences is
> unrelated to their absolute values [1], except that the
> latter looks for correlations between the absolute value of
> differences in x versus x at the ancestral node. It might be
> useful to consult that paper [1] to get some more ideas for
> how to interpret those kinds of results.

If there is proportionality between standard deviation of
change and the value of the character, that is essentially
saying that the log(x) changes at rate independent of its
value.  Similarly, if the variance of change is proportional
to the value of the character, that is essentially the same
as saying that the square root of the character changes at a
rate independent of its value.

See this Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance-stabilizing_transformation

Perhaps the whole test can be done by considering different
transforms of the data (there are parameterized families of them)
and use the likelihood to test values of the transform parameters (with
appropriate correction of the likelihood by having a Jacobian term).

Joe
----
Joe Felsenstein         j...@gs.washington.edu