OK, so I haven't gotten any responses that convince me that PGLS isn't
biologically suspect. At the risk of thinking out loud to myself here, I wonder
if my finding might have to do with the method detecting phylogenetic signal in
the error (residuals?):

From:
Revell, L. J. (2010). Phylogenetic signal and linear regression on species
data. Methods in Ecology and Evolution, 1(4), 319-329.

I note the following: "...the suitability of a phylogenetic regression should
actually be diagnosed by estimating phylogenetic signal in the residual
deviations of Y given our predictors (X1, X2, etc.)."

Let's say one variable, "A", has a strong evolutionary signal, but the other,
variable "B", does not. Would we expect this to affect a PGLS differently if we
use A to predict B, vs. using B to predict A?

If so, it would explain my findings. However, given the difference, I can have
no confidence that there is, or is not, a significant covariance between A and
B independent of phylogeny. Doesn't this finding call into question the method
itself?

More directly, how is one to interpret such a finding? Is there, or is there
not, a significant biological association?

-Tom