With respect to your crankiness, is this the paper by Hansen that you are
referring to?:

Bartoszek, K., Pienaar, J., Mostad, P., Andersson, S., & Hansen, T. F. (2012).
A phylogenetic comparative method for studying multivariate adaptation. Journal
of Theoretical Biology, 314(0), 204-215.

I wrote Bartoszek to see if I could get his R code to try the method mentioned
in there. If I can figure out how to apply it to my data, that will be great. I
agree that it is clearly a mistake to assume one variable is responding
evolutionarily only to the current value of the other (predictor variables).

Regarding your comments:

> If the "regressions" are being done in a model which implies
> that the two variables are multivariate normal, then we can
> simply estimate the parameters of that joint distribution,
> which are of course the two means and the three elements of the
> covariance matrix.
>
> If we then test whether  Cov(X,Y) is different from zero, that
> should be equivalent to a test of significance of either
> regression.

I'm not clear on what you are suggesting I do here. Isn't PGLS essentially
testing Cov(X,Y) taking the phylogeny into account?  And are you saying there
is a way to show that my variables are significantly associated with each other
even though PGLS shows different things depending on which way I run the
associations?

-Tom

On Jul 11, 2013, at 5:46 PM, Joe Felsenstein <j...@gs.washington.edu> wrote:

> If the "regressions" are being done in a model which implies
> that the two variables are multivariate normal, then we can
> simply estimate the parameters of that joint distribution,
> which are of course the two means and the three elements of the
> covariance matrix.
>
> If we then test whether  Cov(X,Y) is different from zero, that
> should be equivalent to a test of significance of either
> regression.
>
> /* crankiness on */
> Note of course that most "phylogenetic" regressions are being
> done wrong: if they assume that Y responds to the current value
> of X, but when the value of Y may actually be the result of
> optimum selection which is affected by past values of X which
> we do not observe directly.
>
> I've complained about this here in the past, to no avail,
> Thomas Hansen, in a recent paper, made the same point, with
> evidence too.
> /* crankiness off */
>
> J.F.
> ----
> Joe Felsenstein         j...@gs.washington.edu
> Department of Genome Sciences and Department of Biology,
> University of Washington, Box 355065, Seattle, WA 98195-5065 USA

P. Thomas Schoenemann

Associate Professor
Department of Anthropology
Cognitive Science Program
Indiana University
Bloomington, IN  47405
Phone: 812-855-8800
E-mail: t...@indiana.edu

Open Research Scan Archive (ORSA) Co-Director
Consulting Scholar
Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
University of Pennsylvania

http://www.indiana.edu/~brainevo