At Fri, 03 Apr 2015 10:40:18 +0200,
Gour wrote:
> So, it looks, (almost) everything is there present in Racket, so I wonder
> whether you consider that writing desktop GUI app is suitable niche for
> Racket making one productive and still getting decent performance?

I have written GUI applications in Racket, .NET, Swing and tk, and
Racket is the most pleasant by far, IMO.

Racket performance is pretty good in general. The Racket performance
docs have more information:

    http://docs.racket-lang.org/guide/performance.html

> Does using Typed Racket improve things significantly?

Performance-wise, it depends on the kind of code. Typed Racket performs
some type-driven optimizations. Those are most useful for numeric code,
but you may see modest speedups in other kinds of code too. I don't
expect much difference for GUI code, though. See the Typed Racket
performance docs for more details:

    http://docs.racket-lang.org/ts-guide/optimization.html

> I did graduate software engineering long ago and was using/learning several
> languages from Fortran, Pascal, C(++), but when I was about to learn Lisp, all
> students had to take Prolog course, so I'm Lisp/Scheme/Racket noob except
> that I wrote several setq-s when configuring Emacs.
>
> Considering that I like learning from books, do you recommend Realm of Racket
> book to start learning along with the online docs? Any other book?

Realm of Racket is very good, and since you already have programming
experience, you should be able to pick it up easily.

If you need a gentler introduction to thinking functionally, I would
recommend How to Design Programs:

    http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/HtDP2e/

Vincent