On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 4:26 PM, Anthony Carrico <acarr...@memebeam.org> wrote:
> On 06/19/2015 11:19 PM, Ryan Culpepper wrote:
>> With this release we are taking a major step forward to get our user
>> community even more involved than in the past...
>
> It looks like I'm running currently running a snapshot. I've ran from
> github before, but I'll admit I'm not sure where I'd go to understand
> how to build from the multiple github repos. If instructions exist, it
> might be time to link to them under the http://racket-lang.org/ contrib.
> Hopefully that would include:
>
> * how to check-out Racket and whatever other repos,
> * build out-of-tree,
> * run racket,
> * sync,
> * build again.

Here's what I do for building from git, and I think it's the simplest thing:

$ git clone https://github.com/plt/racket
$ cd racket
$ make

This clones a single (small) repository and then builds everything. It
will automatically install the latest version of whatever other
packages you need without actually cloning any of the other
repositories. This means that you have a pretty minimal connection to
git.

When you need to update again, you can just update racket and then do
another "make" and it will download the updates for the packages too.

Now, sometimes you will actually want to have the git repos of other
packages. That's easy too. Since I work on the Web server, here's what
I did:

# Create a helpful directory. There's nothing special about this name,
but I like it
$ mkdir extra-pkgs
$ cd extra-pkgs
# Tell racket to switch the web-server package from being a tar-ball
install to being a git clone
$ raco pkg update --clone web-server

Now I'm good to go to

$ cd web-server
$ ed web-server-lib/web-server/main.rkt

and so forth.

Something that is neat about the new world is that it is easy to have
a released version of Racket downloaded from the site, but have a git
clone of some small set of other package repos that you are doing
development on. The only difference will be the first three steps.

I hope this helps,

<3

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy
http://jeapostrophe.github.io

           "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing,
      for ye are laying the foundation of a great work.
And out of small things proceedeth that which is great."
                          - D&C 64:33