At Thu, 10 Sep 2015 15:10:27 -0400, Anthony Carrico wrote:
> I did a 2 character change to Racket (see
> https://github.com/plt/racket/pull/1045), and hit make.

For that case, I would use `raco setup` instead of `make` (since it's
not a change to the runtime). Or I might use `make as-is`, which
refrains from updating packages and is otherwise mostly `raco setup`.

> This failed to
> build, I guess because of package mismatches, so I pulled and tried
> again, which failed.

I'm a little curious about that failure, but many things can go wrong
at this level.

> 1. This is a slow way to work. I'm wondering what cycle the primary devs
> use? Avoid make somehow?

Changing something as primitive is "kw.rkt" is slow for me, too. I
would use something like `raco setup racket` to first try out the
change on limited set of modules, but a full `raco setup` is usually
not far behind.

> 2. Is it possible to extract the in place build from the fast desktop to
> use on my laptop (same architecture)?

Yes, you should be able to copy over an in-place build, and using `tar`
to preserve timestamps will work best. The contents of the
"racket/src/build" directory tend to be sensitive to the path, though,
so you'd have to discard that part.