I hope that there's a better way, however what I ended up doing was this:

1) Install a "Minimal Racket" from
http://download.racket-lang.org/releases/6.8/ (scroll down a bit to see these
versions).

2) cd path/to/my-clone-of-plot/; raco pkg install

3) raco pkg install main-distribution

If you want to later replace an existing package with your local copy, you can
then do:

2b) raco pkg remove --force the-package ### you can stop it with Ctrl+C after a
couple of lines of output

2c) cd path/to/my-clone-of-other-package/; raco pkg install

When updating (e.g. after installing the upcoming 6.9), install a new "minimal
racket 6.9", then run:

4) raco setup --clean ### fails on my machine because it tries to remove
read-only files in the "minimal racket" installation directory. I run it a
couple of times just to be sure, and ignore the failures.

5) raco setup -j 1
6) raco setup -j 1 --avoid-main
7) raco setup -j 1 --doc-index

I use -j 1 in the commands above to avoid Out-Of-Memory errors on systems
without "much" RAM, as parallel builds use more RAM, and a few of my packages
stress Typed/Racket at compile-time, which in turn uses lots of memory.

Hopefully someone will drop by and suggest better alternatives to my
suggestions of using Ctrl+C and ignoring errors :) .