> These are invariably motte and bailey style arguments and the notion that the
> only reason I or anyone else could possibly resent CoCs is some desire to
> abuse their absence is astonishing. How you could not find such groupthink
> "censorious" is beyond my ability to sympathize with. I can only reiterate
> that CoCs are not some kind of dealbreaker for me personally but as this is
> an open discussion I will just say I don't think they're all benefit and no
> cost. My disagreement on this matter does not constitute an admission of
> guilt; to abuse a racket construct: there's a bug in your contract spec, it's
> blaming the wrong party.

The important point is that a CoC is a choice to prioritize the safety,
welfare, and happiness of minority groups over the privilege of individuals to
say / do whatever they want. Sure, you might say that's a tradeoff, and sure,
you could call that censorship, but whatever "cost" there is of hypothetically
blaming a party inappropriately is worth paying ten times over for the benefit
of making traditionally less-welcomed people more included. I guarantee you the
incidents a CoC is designed to prevent occur *far* more often than any
incidents of mis-applying the CoC to an innocent individual. Not realizing that
is willful ignorance.