As promised, I mocked up my original vs a quick iteration using pict.
It's not nearly as time consuming as I thought it'd be (took about 30
minutes not being familiar with the pict api):

https://gist.github.com/apg/e193b3f4b1626397ebb3065947a6ae8a

It's obviously not visually the same, but the same information is
basically conveyed in both. My biggest complaints are that of where
arrows end up, but other than that, This isn't tooo horrible as is,
but could be oodles better with some helpers.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
http://www.apgwoz.com