I love seeing all of these project ideas, but I really don't think
Racket needs a "killer app." I think what it needs is the people
passionate about it building tools in it, and *using* those tools in
the work place, and sharing the experiences of using those tools more
vocally.

We need people building tools and blogging about why using Racket made
the job easier. Why would it be harder to do in Python, or Ruby? We
need straight up advocacy, and that starts with everyone in this
thread who *hasn't* done that yet.

I started the thread about a "graphviz" like because I'd like to write
documentation without pointing and clicking--including the figures I
need to illustrate a point. That's not a killer app, but that's
something that I can *share* inside the work place to make the lives
of developers (who'd rather declare a drawing, than fight to point and
click with it), to have an integrated documentation system they can
use from their editor. It makes sense to me, and I'm sure it'd make
sense to them, too.

You might get some push back on the parentheses! You might get some
push back on the fact that Racket has it's roots in "LISP"
(intentionally capped). But, that's an opportunity. Show your
coworkers the *why*. Explain to them why it's powerful. Explain to
them that they can set up an editor to do parentheses matching.
Explain to them contracts, or Typed Racket, or how powerful the
language extension model is.

Anyway. I don't think it makes sense to solve problems that you don't
have. Solve your own problems, but do it in Racket. Then spread the
word that Racket made it easy, fun, and elegant! Be sure to somehow
include that the community is extremely welcoming, helpful, and
growing!

http://www.apgwoz.com