On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 10:02 PM, David Storrs <david.sto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Andrew Gwozdziewycz <apg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We need people building tools and blogging about why using Racket made
> I agree that talking about how great Racket is will be an important
> part of increasing uptake.  That said, I contend that it is not
> enough.  People have been talking about how awesome LISP is for
> literally decades, and many of those people are influencers.  Example:
>  Paul Graham, who is essentially the god of Silicon Valley startups,
> has blogged extensively about how amazing LISP is and how it vastly
> increased the speed of his startup.  Despite that, I know of exactly
> zero SV startups that are using LISP -- I've been out of the valley
> for a couple years now, so maybe it's changed, but I was there for
> quite a while and never heard of any.

To be fair, despite Mr. Graham's talk, he didn't exactly put a lot of
code out that *showed* anyone anything. But take Clojure as an
example. It's got an advantage in that there's an immediate avenue for
getting it integrated with an existing codebase -- It's written in
Java. Adopting it to try it out isn't a big thing if you're already a
JVM shop.

But what if you *aren't* a JVM shop? Why would you adopt Clojure? It's
really not because of the libraries, or frameworks around it. Most of
that, at least early on, was really surface level stuff, except for
maybe Ring for web apps. But, Ring really isn't all that special...
either. Still, Clojure was successful *outside* of the world of the
JVM. ClojureScript maybe even more so!

Racket doesn't play well with existing code bases (except C things)
and so my hypothesis is simply that to gain adoption of Racket, you
need to solve problems that aren't in the "production path." Good
thing there are *lots* of those! All those Python scripts you have?
All of those Perl scripts that no one understands anymore? Those are,
in my opinion, the way in.