Google has shut down many services, including some surprising ones. Without getting alarmed, I think it's reassuring that we could handle an end-of-life of Google Groups on fairly short notice, if that ever happened...

Regarding hosting of the email list server... worst case, were Google Groups to shut down with no good migration offering... if we can't find a turn-key email list service we like, we could always run the time-honored MailMan on either one of the affiliated universities' in-house systems (if the non-owned .org domain name isn't a problem for that .edu), or on Linode/AWS/etc.

That part doesn't have to be much work (click a few buttons with a turn-key hoster, copy&paste the user list, point a DNS MX record at the new server), *unless* we have to set up a new MailMan install (which implies a lot more sys-admin tasks, immediate and then ongoing maintenance).

The tricky parts of moving are not with the email list server itself, but preserving the archive and citation links:

* Reconstructing a past email list archive, which, unless Google offers list managers a complete data dump, might mean either scraping the raw emails from Google Groups while it's still around (or from one of those email list mirror services that hopefully caught everything and didn't mangle it), or taking it from someone's personal saved emails (and carefully weeding out any messages that weren't actually to the list, like discussions taken offline).

* Were Google Groups shut down in such a way that citation links (for messages and threads) were broken (no read-only version, no configurable redirects), we'd partly have to accept that there will be broken links.  Were we to scrape the archive, we might be able to preserve the info about the old links, and then put up a Web page that makes it easier for people to reconstruct a link on demand, but that's significant work for perhaps little benefit.

(Actually, if we *knew* Google Groups was going to be shut down in a cold and uncaring way, it might be a business opportunity for someone: not only offer alternative hosting for email lists and Web forums, but also automate the migration of people's data, maybe including some way of patching broken links.  Your link-patching might work among all lists you host, even those managed by different parties, which could motivate referrals for other lists to move to you.  This is a big job, not because implementing a email list or Web forum service is difficult beyond engineering for robustness, but because Google Groups is more complicated than it looks, and you have to wade through all that, and triage and map features.  Then maybe FB would try to buy you, to eliminate you as competition as you segue into additional social media services, as well as to grab ownership of all your users and their communications.  Though, the clear, refreshing taste of Racket could make this messy business go more easily.  :)