On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 08:51:18PM -0500, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> Google has shut down many services, including some surprising ones. Without
> getting alarmed, I think it's reassuring that we could handle an end-of-life
> of Google Groups on fairly short notice, if that ever happened...
>
> Regarding hosting of the email list server... worst case, were Google Groups
> to shut down with no good migration offering... if we can't find a turn-key
> email list service we like, we could always run the time-honored MailMan on
> either one of the affiliated universities' in-house systems (if the
> non-owned .org domain name isn't a problem for that .edu), or on
> Linode/AWS/etc.

Google dowa have Google takeout.  I've used it to download my
contributions to Google plus.  No, it didn't quite do everything; in
particular I've notices that images are missong from reposted posts.

But I believe one of the options was to download a group.  I suspect only
the group administrator can do that.  It is probably worth trying it just
in case it's an easy way to ensure we can have our own mailing list
archive.

> That part doesn't have to be much work (click a few buttons with a turn-key
> hoster, copy&paste the user list, point a DNS MX record at the new server),
> *unless* we have to set up a new MailMan install (which implies a lot more
> sys-admin tasks, immediate and then ongoing maintenance).

Annoying, considering that we used to have our own mailing list long ago.
Why did we ever switch?

> The tricky parts of moving are not with the email list server itself, but
> preserving the archive and citation links:
>
> * Were Google Groups shut down in such a way that citation links (for
> messages and threads) were broken (no read-only version, no configurable
> redirects), we'd partly have to accept that there will be broken links.
> Were we to scrape the archive, we might be able to preserve the info about
> the old links, and then put up a Web page that makes it easier for people to
> reconstruct a link on demand, but that's significant work for perhaps little
> benefit.

How hard is it to automatically detect a link to the google group site in
a message?

-- hendrik