It is rare that I have to somewhat-contradict Matthew here, but so it goes.

One of my colleagues, Jan Vitek, has studied Julia with a special focus on
performance. As many have said, Julia is good at numerics because its compiler
can specialize certain cases really well. More generally, it does well when a
programmer commits to the effort of writing down performance-enhancing types.
[1] BUT, there’s an incredible pitfall associated with this approach. If the
programmer is a bit off with the types (not wrt correctness but wrt to
narrowness or forgets to specify a type somewhere), the compiler still succeeds
except that the program will be rather slow when uses certain paths [2]. So
your performance experience with Julia could be quite varied.

Use Racket for what you have in mind. It’s obviously the superior language :-)

— Matthias

p.s. If there’s interest, I can dig out Jan’s draft paper.

[1] Julia is gradually typed but it should really be considered optionally
typed. The types are about performance, so they are more like C types than ML
type.s

[2] Julia’s compiler is tailor-made for an application of Vincent St-Amour’s
dissertation research on feature-specific profiling.