Gour wrote on 2/2/19 3:55 PM:
Many languages simply do not pass 'GUI criteria' and, imho, Racket is very much
deprived of its glory by providing first class GUI option for all those not so
enamored with JS/browser stuff.

Yes, I did another look for Racket last year, and desktop GUI toolkit options generally seem to have have actually gotten fewer and worse since the move of most of the money to Web and handheld apps.  (Regarding Web, right now it's dominated by snooping, and by brochure/tabloid HCI.  And, on handhelds and moving back to desktop, one could even wonder whether certain handheld UX designs being pushed on some developers for all apps are actually motivated not entirely by traditional HCI usability goals, but also against the users' interests, such as for combating the cognitive/perceptual filtering of ad placements that users learned almost immediately in the late-'90s, or to promote impulsive consumption of media "content".)

Some languages were simply excluded without even slight consideration like {C,
C++, Java}, some are uninspiring (Go) or have (too) strange syntax etc.

We need to advertise this selling point for Racket: "Our syntax is not too strange!" :)

I understand the appeal of Racket, though of course there are good things to say about each of those languages you mentioned, both for novel PL merit and for practical application.  (I used the first 3 heavily, in industry and/or research, and recently looked at the 4th, and would be happy using/developing it with the added incentive of gobs of money, though I currently prefer Racket for most purposes.)

1) is there a plan to fill the gap with the 'missing' widgets in the
foreseeable future? (Iirc, someone once mentioned to me 'tree widget' which is
not included out of the box.)

A core Racket person can speak about any plans for core.

What is super-useful for the community is when people develop some parts of their system as high-quality reusable components that are loosely-coupled with their application, and share those components as documented Racket packages.  This includes new GUI widgets.

2) how difficult is, in general, to add new widgets?

What I've done recently, as aggregations of existing components, for a retro smartphone UI, seemed mostly straightforward (and in this case was mostly a kind of coding that one can do for hours without having to think hard, so maybe it's a relaxing evening after a day of intense high-stakes software engineering :) (unreleased, for now) https://www.neilvandyke.org/postmarketos/

Another option for implementing new widgets in Racket is arbitrary drawing on a 2D or 3D canvas.  Or mixing arbitrary drawing and existing widgets (like you might want to do in a scalable editable spreadsheet/table widget, for example).  I haven't done this with Racket in a long time, but I think it's still reasonable, and you can look for examples in the Racket source code that don't proxy native toolkit components (e.g., the plot snip?).  But, by comparison, the JS widgets I've had to do from scratch more recently were a headache to make work well and be portable.