Matthew posted an (IMO) clear explanation of the state of the thinking here
earlier. tl;dr: sexpressions will never be abandoned and backwards
compatibility with existing languages will be maintained for the
foreseeable future.

... but read his message if you are worried.  I believe it is included in
the github discussion you mention.

Robby