Atlas, I get the impression, from the impassioned discussion thus far, that a lot of the community really wants an s-expression syntax (and print form for data) to be not merely backwards-compatibile supported, *but to remain fully a "first-class citizen"*.

I suspect that the top-level requirements and the nature of community involvement will become more clear in a few weeks, after everyone returns from summer vacations, and has a chance to catch to catch their breath and discuss.

Racket has approx. a two-decade history of good stability and engineering, so I think we can have a little patience, while the various confusing new things -- the Conservancy, community relationship and process, Racket2, whatever happens now that the Chez backend is firming up -- all get figured out and get solid starts.

(Relevant aside: I want to mention that I'm also hoping to see Honu, in particular, promoted better in Racket.  Once I looked at the paper, the other day, I was surprised that it hadn't really been promoted already for practical use.  It's additional complexity beyond s-expressions, but the approach looks clever.  I'll be interested to see how people use it in practice.  That might start with a better Racket manual for Honu.  And maybe one of the the textbooks ends up using Honu for a teaching language.  And maybe someone shows a DSL construction tutorial using Honu to do the parsing work.  That doesn't have to mean Honu bumps s-expression to "second-class citizen" status, such as in Racket manuals or ongoing development.  Nor does that have to mean that Honu becomes the form that might be displayed when data and syntax objects, such as when viewing the intermediate representation of Racket as a language-oriented programming platform or construction kit.)