On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 02:25:40PM +0900, Stephen De Gabrielle wrote:
> I’m travelling so haven’t been able to properly read the discussion :(
>
> I do want to add:
>
> A) Keep local git repos (backups) on storage you control- this is important
> as you never know when you will lose access to a data centre (github,
> gitlab, Amazon, azure, iCloud , Dropbox , etc.)
>
> B) I know similar tagging etc can be done on gitlab and other git-services
> - if anyone can provide the relevant advice that would be appreciated.
>  (though I think gitlab and github are the most likely alternative entry
> points  for new racketeers - I *think* the  major ones are the Racket web
> site and Wikipedia)

Git manages the source repository.  And every source-code user
has a copy of that; it's how git works.  So there's no
problem keeping that safe from a github lock-in.

Annoyingly, if you're working on two different issues, you end up
having to have two local copies of the repository.  Monotone did
that better, but everyone is using git instead.  Much the way
people are still using inferior rogramming languages.

But there's also the issue tracking.  How easy is it to export that
from github and install it on another system?

And there is an MIT-licenced alternative to github showing up
soon:  gitea.  They let you use your own machines instead of
theirs.  https://gitea.io/en-us/ or https://docs.gitea.io/en-us/

-- hendrik