On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:21 AM Matthew Flatt <mfl...@cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> At Wed, 29 Apr 2020 11:14:47 +0200, Dexter Lagan wrote:
> >   To the point: what would make Racket2 the ultimate tool (for me):
> > Performance. Faster startup times, shorter execution times in general.
> > Optionally, a ‘lite’ version of Racket that compiles directly to no-deps
> > binaries, bypassing the JIT altogether, would be a game-changer. As far
> as
> > high levels languages with functional concepts and metaprogramming
> facilities
> > that compiles to tiny, fast bins, Nim comes dangerously close, but it’s
> not a
> > Lisp, and it’s not Racket.
> > Production-quality, modern and fast GUI facilities. I’ll take properly
> > documented, complete Qt bindings. Racket/GUI is great for internal
> tools, but
> > it quickly becomes slow, tedious and limited for more complex
> client-facing
> > UIs.
> > One complete, commercial-grade Web framework, inspired from Symphony or
> > Laravel. Security and ease of use first, continuations later.
> > Better documentation: Racket docs are aesthetically very pleasing,
> complete
> > and detailed. However some parts are still very obscure and lacking
> simple
> > examples (if only the part about Continuations included just one basic
> > example, such as a ‘return’ implementation, on the very first page. If
> only
> > the Macros documentation started with define-simple-macro and a few very
> > basic, practical examples. Instead we’re greeted with pattern-based
> macros,
> > which although very powerful, are very hard to comprehend for newcomers).
>
> Which of these things will you be working on?

I'll step up.

Matt, I need some help with Scribble and how to contribute to the Racket
docs.  I'd be willing to pay for a couple hours of your time (or whomever
else's has the skill/knowledge) to walk me through that.  After that I'll
be happy to pitch in by offering documentation patches.  This will be a big
help for me, since I'm finding myself having trouble writing docs for my
own code.