Dear Picky Penumbra People (Andy):

It's difficult to say for sure without implementing such an option, but the
source sampling often dominates the calculation time to the point where you
might not gain much over your current approach.  Increasing image resolution
adds some minor costs for the initial ray casting from the view point, and some
calculation time looking up and interpolating values from the ambient cache
(assuming you are using that), but those are pretty nominal.  Your biggest
gains for multiple source sampling would come from scenes with only one or two
light sources.

One thing to bear in mind is that lights that are either sphere or source types
don't know how to subdivide, so the -ds option doesn't do what it should for
those emitters.  Otherwise, you can get better penumbras by reducing your -ds
value to some small (non-zero) value in addition to using -dj 1.

Cheers,
-Greg