But one without the usability and portability problems is noticeably more
complex. On the other hand, it fixes those problems, and the problem of
file names and directories containing spaces as well.

If there really was an inherent problem with using pipes on Windows,
> then I'm sure I would have found a lot more information about it.

I am not so sure. Windows documentation can be amazingly opaque, because
MS's technical writers are apparently forbidden from mentioning
limitations, and a casual search will get you scads of irrelevant results.
​