My impression is that Python has become something of a standard in the
research community, with tools like SciPy, NumPy, and SAGE widely used,
though Perl has a library comparable to NumPy in PDL, and there is a
SciRuby, There is nothing else like SAGE except for the commercial packages
Mathematica and MATLAB. There is also the granddaddy of them all, LISP, but
I don't want to press that on our community; it is intimidating, however
useful once one learns it.

On the statistical side there is R and (wince) Excel.

What do people think? Who is using what?

Randolph