import os
import sys
import math
import tempfile
import argparse
import subprocess

​On Unix, os, sys, and math are mostly wrappers around libraries familiar
to you; on Windows, they are often very close in functionality. I don't
expect they would be much trouble to your. Tempfile is a little bit more
confusing (it is loaded down with security "features," which are mostly
irrelevant in our work), and argparse and subprocess do require study.

This is, to some extent, the old decision as to use libraries or roll your
own code. The standard advice is to use libraries for the sake of
maintenance, since they are already debugged and documented, but libraries
can sometimes load you down with complexities unnecessary to your work.
Overuse of libraries can weigh your programs down; one can, for instance,
end up with XML formats when simple text files will do.

I am forming some thoughts on the broader issues, but I will wait for them
to gel before posting them, I think.

Randolph