Update:
In the report mentioned earlier, the same MS person now said that an update
of the universal CRT will probably be rolled out at around the same time
as the "anniversary update" of Windows 10 this summer. After that, I expect
we can use VS 2015 without further problems.

In the mean time, I have modified the SCons build system so that you can
select the version of Visual Studio to use. The current default is
  MSVC_VERSION=12.0
which selects VS 2013 (better don't try to understand their numbering).

The binaries created that way pass all the currently available tests,
including the ones I explicitly added to catch the text pipe CRT bug.
Those tests shove large amounts of data through both text and (all types
of) binary pipes, and currently do so without a hitch.

Cheers
-schorsch