> should I be concerned about the fact that installing libX11 and libX11-devel
> seems to have been sufficient in order to eliminate the X11-related
> compilation errors?

No. There’s probably a symlink that’s covering that.

> Also, our application uses Radiance in headless mode (no UI).
> Am I right in thinking that whilst installing X11 is necessary in order to
> get a clean build, many of the resulting binaries can be run without X11.
> E.g. am I right in thinking that I can run oconv and rtrace without X11?

That’s correct. If you want to use any of the X11 programs remotely, you can
run an X server on the system you are accessing your Amazon system from.

> Is there some resource that can be used to determine which Radiance binaries
> rely on X11 and which don't?

Mmmm…”ldd” will probably tell you, if the build script uses shared libraries.
But only the programs that have graphical interfaces use X11 anyway.

--
Randolph M. Fritz, Lighting Design and Simulation
+1 206 659-8617 || rmfri...@gmail.com <mailto:rmfri...@panix.com>