As far as specifying X11 location; if this is a need – and I have found it
sometimes useful – the usual way this is done is via an X server running on
your desktop system and ssh. The specifics depend on the details of the
desktop system. If it is a Windows system, the inexpensive solution is the
Xming X server and the PuTTY application. This page gives a summary of the
setup procedure: http://www.geo.mtu.edu/geoschem/docs/putty_install.html.
On a Mac, one uses XQuartz and the usual Mac terminal application.
Unix-like systems run X11 natively, and one can simply use ssh from a
window. For all of these, you may have to turn X Windows ssh access on on
your Amazon LInux instance.

--
Randolph M. Fritz || +1 206 659-8617 || rmfri...@gmail.com