I think a REST implementation would be very simple to accomplish.  However,
that too would need to be developed as an extension for the time being
because I don't believe that's on the table for the core before 0.7 at least
(a task listed on the 0.7 release plan is 'Add support for publishing
through Mars Edit' -- I imagine TextMate might be possibility too).

Sean