While I agree 100% that it's mock-up time, I must comment that your scenario below seems more likely a proprietary requirement than the inverse.... Just a thought. I'd be pretty disappointed to not have the ability to re-parent pages in admin. I think the Comatose solution of putting a "hidden" drop down where you specify the parent of the page provides some of what you need as it makes reparenting a little bit obscure and out of the path of the ordinary content creator / editor.

As for "too many pages", yes this probably needs to be addressed. The www.diopa.org site has quiet a few pages and things are still feeling ok to us. I've played-around with taking-out the page icon and shrinking the row height to make the listing shorter and more "all business". This helped a lot. But as for the "right way" to do this... hmmm...

I don't follow your scenario too well personally I'd love to see any mock-ups. I like thinking about a future Radiant would have a standard way of filling the page with just one node and all it's children down ... especially if it related in someway to a permissions system or build-in hooks for such a thing to be more easily extended in....