dreamhost responded saying I ran against a memory limit for the user
I'm running the app on. how i hit the limit with only development
sites with no traffic and ruby processes only running for a fraction
of the time, is a mistery to me. they suggested creating a new user
and installing everything over again... sigh...

anyway, thanks for all the help jakob