As to your page types, I was kind of surprised to see your "grouping
page."  I plan to develop an extension shortly for a project that might
line up with your grouping.  I'll share it here in case it actually is a
more generally usable concept than I thought.

I apologize in advance for all the lead-in...

I have a website that is collecting stats on various cities in the
region.  Since these stats may be used on multiple pages and the data
changes from year to year, I plan on sticking them in the db and calling
them from custom tags within static pages.

For example:

\Cities (index page)
   \City A (static content plus stats from db)
      \Map (static content plus map built from db)
      \Chart (static content plus charts from db)
   \City B (static content plus stats from db)
      \Map (static content plus map built from db)
      \Chart (static content plus charts from db)

Essentially I'm grouping cities together here.

I'm planning to make an extension to set the property for each city page
based on choices within the db (i.e city="City A").  It's children would
inherit this property.

Now, I obviously need to build my own tags/extend radiant for each of
the dynamic pieces (stats, maps, and charts).  That way, in the chart
page I could just insert <r:chart city="current" />.

Why be this fancy?  I have multiple categories (cities, counties, school
districts, etc.) -- all of which can overlap in weird ways.

Now I'm wondering if it's actually a unique need.  I'd be happy to
develop a public extension if I thought anyone other than me would use
it.  Any takers?