I really like the idea of extension writers being able to extend the help system (Section #1) -- say adding documentation for their tags or explaining how to use their UI elements, or adding context sensitive help to their UI elements. Then you could crank out a PDF and have it be a complete user's guide -- extensions and all.

I plan to make radiant-help easily printable, but Mohit's idea for a book is a good one, although to me seems like it would be a more in- depth look at Radiant and far too long for a help system.

radiant-help allows you to provide whatever help information you want, but it assumes that its for an extension. It'll also display details for any loaded constant if it has version, url, and/or description. If for example you have radiant-help installed and go to admin/help/ Radiant, you'll get: "It appears that do you have Radiant installed, but I can't find any documentation for you. Sorry." I thought that would be an interesting way to auto-discover docs about something in the core... but I haven't done more than that. Or if you go to an extension that you have installed but that hasn't registered any help admin/help/TestExtension
"No help information is provided at this time.
TestExtension version is: 1.0
TestExtension description is: Describe your extension here
TestExtension url is: http://yourwebsite.com/test";

What I'd also like to do is add shards-like regions to the basic help info to allow people to add in their own information to the basic docs before or after certain parts. I'm hoping that would give me a way to provide client specific information.

Aside from that, I think it makes sense to include role based docs, but I haven't tackled that yet.

I've written 2 other apps that included an inline help system where I tracked a needs_help field on the User and conditionally displayed help in the interface. I want to be able to provide something like that as well.

I don't want to hijack this thread though, since it wasn't radiant- help centric. My basic goal is to provide info for those using Radiant (including admin and developers), not necessarily for those developing parts for it (such as how to integrate with other apps, or how to write your own extension, etc).

It would be *very* nice, however, for RadiantCMS.org to offer a place for extension developers to more formally show off their wares and encourage a standardized style to the documentation. This would make it easier for users to find extensions and learn about them (since their documentation would follow a standard the user would quickly learn).

I'm not sure that you'd offer a lot of space for extension developers but perhaps just a page like: http://agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins

Sean is working on something like that. Ask him about it, he has all the time in the world :)

-Jim

PS. For anyone that missed it, I'm talking about
http://github.com/saturnflyer/radiant-help/tree/master
And I'd love some help setting it up.