Jonathan McCoy wrote:
Anton Aylward wrote:
Chris Parrish said the following on 21/06/08 11:51 PM:

A 'developer' is someone who develops content.
This is obvious to anyone except a programmer.

Huh??

I think it's fairly useful to define the difference between a Content Manager, Designer and Developer - because frankly there's a big difference.

  Developer = Web Developer = RoR[etc]/DB/XML/XHTML/CSS
  Designer = Web Designer = HTML/CSS
  Content Manager = Idiot = Copywriter/Editor

"Developers open TextMate, Designers open DreamWeaver and Content Managers can't switch on their computer." - Pretty much says it all.

If you're designing a site to be managed by an in-house team, you'll need to segregate the design (layouts and snippets) from the copywriters. Likewise, it's a fair idea to keep management of extensions and site setup from designers - leaving it with the technical support team. And of course leaving user management to the project manager.

Jon.
Jon, that's a very good explanation! We should use that in the new 'Summer Reboot' documentation [1] as a discussion on roles in Radiant :)

Cheers,
Mohit.
6/23/2008 | 1:09 AM.

[1] http://wiki.radiantcms.org/Summer_Reboot