I think we need core extensions that handle these problems. Tools like
Drupal and ExpressionEngine of PHP fame handle de-coupled functionality
very well. I think RadiantCMS retains a well-defined code base and
development platform. With that said, I think focus should be shifted to
extension development.

Extensions can provide all the granular functionality and control one
would need. The Page Group Permissions extension definitely is a great
example.

http://github.com/freels/radiant-extensions/tree/master/page_group_permissions/README

We have core developers for Radiant itself, but I think Radiant could
use some core developers for just extensions. I think the community and
the promotion of Radiant could benefit greatly from that.

What do you guys think?