On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Lindsay Morris <lmorris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, "gem list" says radiant (0.9.1),  but that's remote, ie, not installed
> (I guess ?)

No the other way- gem list (remote) means what gems are available from
gem providers. Gem list (without a flag) will give you locally
installed gems.I have both installed, so "gem list --local" results in
: "radiant (0.9.1, 0.8.1)"

> "gem list --local" does not show radiant at all.
> But I have a /home/lindsay/rails_apps/radiant directory,  with a  CHANGELOG
> that has "=== 0.8.1 Luster" at the top.

It's possible to clone the radiant repo and set it up in your system
(instead of installing as a gem).  Not sure why you'd want to if
you're just creating a radiant site. That may be what cPanel did.

> So it's SLOOOWWLY starting to make sense.
> Maybe Hostgator's web-based cPanel does one kind of install;
> and my command-line commands do a DIFFERENT kind of install,
> and never the twain shall meet.

yeah, HostGator can be restricting permissions by running their cPanel
thing- lots of ISPs do this. Command-line will install apps, etc.
using your user.

> I can re-install radiant with cPanel, but I'm pretty sure I'll get the 0.8
> version that I've got now.

There might be a forms-8 version available.

> I don't have any control or understanding of what cPanel does when I click
> the button.
>
> I think HostGator's cPanel Rails / Gems installer has sent me on a wild
> goose chase here.
> I guess I should start all over, ditch cPanel, and re-install radiant,
> radiant-forms-extension, etc. myself from the command line.

That's what I would do, just becuase then you can see everything.